Saturday, November 7, 2009

BBA #5 - Casiatello

One summer in college, my family took a vacation to Ireland. We saw a lot of amazing things there, but one of my strongest memories is from the morning we were leaving. We left the hotel quite early, so that we could walk around Dublin one last time before heading for the airport. We passed a bakery that was just opening and stopped for breakfast. I got a sausage roll that was fresh out of the oven and was quite probably the best thing I have ever eaten in my life. I've tried to recreate it, to no avail.

Until I tried the casiatello, that is.

Oh, it's not perfect. Not the same. But it's much closer than anything else, and I think that with some tweaking, I can definitely make this mine.Now, I was a little nervous about this, after the difficulty I had with the brioche. Casiatello is, after all, a brioche variant. But my sponge was bubbling merrily, right on schedule and even a little early. It wasn't quite as awesome as the bagel sponge, but was still pretty cute.
This time when I stirred in the other ingredients, they actually combined the way the brioche should have. I took my time with the butter too, while watching the game (don't even MENTION the results of the game, please), and took breaks for my hands.

Then it was time to stir in the meat and cheese. I had an Alaskan salami (mmm, Rudolph) and mixed the recommended provolone with Irish cheddar and a bit of habenero jack I've been hoarding.

This dough rose well. Not particularly fast, but not slow either. After some juggling to get pans ready in time, I set the loaves to bake. They were still a little small, but oh so tasty!
As I said earlier, I am definitely going to be playing with this recipe in the future, to create something as close as possible to my Dublin sausage roll. I shall keep you posted!

The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment