Sunday, January 10, 2010

BBA #12 - English Muffins


The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread

I was really excited going into this - even though I rarely buy English muffins these days, I have many fond memories of them from my childhood. I meant to make these before The Husband left again, but slacked off. Oh well.

The dough was pretty fun to work with, nice and smooth. I did not, however, keep my dough wet enough. More on that later.

After rising, the dough is divided into 6 sections and each is shaped into a small boule. They rise again!

Most of the cooking of this bread is done in a skillet instead of the oven, though they do get finished in the oven. It's neat to be able to watch them cook!
This is where I realized that my dough wasn't wet enough. As you can see above, the muffins didn't spread out at all in the pan, and stayed quite round and thick. Still, they did brown nicely.I also did not get the much coveted "nooks and crannies" in my muffins, but they still tasted good! I don't know that I will be making them again, not until I figure out how to fix some of the troubles I had!

1 comment:

  1. I'm quickly learning that any time you want a bread to be flat-ish that it needs to be a little wetter than you'd think. It's definitely true for pitas and pizza crust, so I'll keep this in mind when I finally get around to making these! Maybe I can tackle them this weekend since it's a three-dayer.

    ReplyDelete