Tuesday, February 23, 2010

BBA #17 - Lavash Crackers

Here's a BBA first for me... I liked this recipe so much that I went off and made a whole 'nother batch the very next day! But I'm jumping the gun a bit here.

This formula is very simple. Essentially, it's a pita dough. Flour, honey, oil, yeast, etc. In fact, you can make pitas with this, and I did use half of the dough for that.

After mixing, kneading, and one rise, this dough is rolled out into a paper thin rectangle. And I do mean paper. It's shocking how big such a tiny ball of dough can get! When you're first mixing the flours and other ingredients together, it's definitely the smallest amount of dough we've worked with thus far.

Anyway, the resulting rectangle is carefully transferred onto a pan (not as hard as you would think) and sprinkled with spices. I used a base of maple pepper and cayenne, with some poppy seeds, sesame seeds and sea salt for contrast. The crackers are then baked at a low temperature for 20 minutes or so. Once they cool, they are nice and crackly. You can shatter them after baking or slice them pre-bake into the shapes you want!

I don't really like crackers. But I could eat these all day! They're great with some port salut spread on top, but even better just plain.

2 comments:

  1. These were definitely fun! You can get so creative with your toppings. I kinda went with what the book suggested and used paprika, caraway seeds, black sesame seeds, and a flaky sea salt. Yum! I had trouble rolling them out thin enough though. I think that next time I make these I might bake in two sheet pans because one was not big enough for the dough (despite being too thick). I couldn't believe how easy this recipe was though - this is so doable for a dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I only made half-batches of this and it still filled up the sheet pan. And then I had the other half for pitas, yum!

    ReplyDelete