Tuesday, October 4, 2011

BBA #26, 27, 28, 29, 30


It's been a while since I've posted a BBA challenge post.  Partially this is because I've been stalled for about a year on the sourdough starter.  I tried and failed a few times, then just forgot about it in the chaos of moving and all.  However, I recently visited a friend who gave me some of her starter, so I used my baby "Zeke" to get me going on the challenge again.

However, when I started up with the sourdoughs, I realized that somehow I lost my photographs from the last four breads that I didn't remember to post when I made them!  I've switched computers in the meantime, and maybe they're still here, but I haven't been able to find them.  So here's a quick write-up on those four (what I remember), and my first sourdough.

#26, Poolish Baguette

This one was okay, but if I'm going to spend the time to make a poolish, I see no reason to not be making Pain a l'ancienne instead!

#27, Portuguese Sweet Bread

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I don't like sweet breads.  However, on a TDY before I made this bread, DH had a sandwich with Kahlua pork and sweet bread, so I made the pork at the same time as I made this loaf.  They went pretty well together.

#28, Potato Rosemary Bread

Without a doubt, this bread is one of the contenders for "Best Recipe in BBA!"  I made two loaves and gave one to my (then pregnant) friend.  It might have been the hormones, but she tore into this like there was no tomorrow!  I don't think her husband got to try any, and I don't blame her, it's that good!  As it happens, I finally have leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge.  I'm going to make this again ASAP.

#29, Pugliese

Honestly, not particularly memorable.  Maybe if I had used the durum flour it would have made a difference.

#30, Sourdough (pictured above)

Yum yum yum yum yum!  Sourdough is a favorite in this house and this recipe did not let us down - apart from being even better the second day than the first!  I did make a few mistakes working with my baby Zeke.  I need to listen to the dough more than the timeframe given in the recipe.  As a result, the bread was a little heavy and dense, but I think I can fix it next time!  I also didn't get the crust and color that I'd want, but since I'm working without my best baking materials (notably, my baking stone), I figure that's not my fault!

1 comment:

  1. Since Zeke is a relatively young starter (versus the starter that the author was using, which was 12 years-old), I too have found that he needs a bit more time. After a feeding, I've been leaving him at room temperature for 8-12 hours and I've started to notice some flavor improvement. He really should be quite bubbly -- and taller in his container -- before you put him in the fridge.

    This weekend, when I made my Zeke-bread, I left out all the commercial yeast. I extended the fermentation and proof by 50%, but I think I safely could have doubled each of them. It was the first time I'd ever baked a loaf using only wild yeast, and it turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete