Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A whale of a time...

Another week, another weekend in Seward!  I really do love that place...

Anyway, this weekend we were down to do a sight-seeing charter with the in-laws.  This is particularly neat because it's the first time I've been able to get out in the bay with my good camera (good camera does NOT go on fishing trips!).  I was very excited, particularly since last weekend we saw humpbacks breaching and even an orca.

The day was rather gray and rainy, which was less than pleasant, but par for the course.  Still, it wasn't so bad.  We had a table inside, and the outside was covered.  We were quickly rewarded, before even getting out of the harbor, by a bald eagle.

A few minutes into the bay we got very close to an otter.  Of course, I've got tons of otter pictures, but could always use more!  And we did get VERY close.  He was adorable, pretty much sleeping as we all stared at him.

As it turned out, the highlight of our trip came early.  We were just passing Fox Island when we sighted a pair of humpbacks.

Then the fun began.

 We were able to witness some really amazing stuff, things that people who've lived here their whole life have never seen.

And I sure wouldn't have wanted to be on the other end of this!

Later on, I got some of my favorites - puffins!  Both horned and crested.

Horned puffins are my favorite, but don't tell the crested puffins.  Shh!

No comments:

Post a Comment