Thursday, March 10, 2011

Northern Lights - 3/9

The other day there was a solar event, so I was keeping an eye out last night.  After a hint from a friend on facebook, I decided to drive out.  I was wearing PJs and didn't bother changing - if I had gotten dressed, there certainly wouldn't have been any lights, right?  Anyway, I grabbed the camera and off I went.




Within minutes of leaving home, I could see faint glows.  They kept appearing and disappearing so I was worried I'd miss everything!  By the time I got out to my spot, all you could see was a very faint band on the horizon.  I settled in to wait.  Shortly, I noticed pale, thin bands arcing across the sky - kind of like the trail a plane leaves.  I pulled out the camera, and sure enough the bands blossomed into color, running east to west directly above me, through the Big Dipper.



Here's a picture to the west, with the moon.  You can see how narrow the band was at first.  It was really cold (especially with no socks and no jacket!) but I scarcely noticed!



To the east, with the Chugach mountains and the Star-On-The-Mountain.  The glow from Anchorage and Eagle River can be seen.
Spruce trees.  Note the line from the airplane off to the left!

No comments:

Post a Comment