Tuesday, September 1, 2009

#1 That's a lotta Bull!


If rule #1 of Project 365 is Always Bring a Camera, then rule #2 is Always Have a Memory Card! When I left this morning, I made sure that I had my camera and lenses easily accessible. It being nasty and rainy, I didn't find anything to photograph before I headed to work. After work and an overly long meeting I decided to get take out from Moose Tooth. I figured I could get a great picture there! I lifted my camera and took a shot of the bar and beer taps. Looking down to check it out on my view screen I saw the flashing white letters: NO CARD.

Rats.

So I pack my pizza into my car and head home, figuring I'll just take a nice picture of the cat or something. I'm tired, I'm hungry, I just want to get home and eat something and recover a bit. Then, as I round the corner about a half mile from home I nearly rear-ended this line of cars hovering along the side of the road.

Double rats. That's classic moose sign.

Indeed, there was a cow right there in the ditch next to the road, munching away happily. Whatever, I said to myself. It's just a cow. Those are everywhere. So I edge around the line of cars, creep past... And there it is. A bull moose.

Oh. Right. It's mating season. I'd forgotten.

At this point, I slam on the gas, pushing the speed limit all the way home. I race up the stairs, grab the card and run back to the car. Again going perhaps a bit faster than was wise, I hurried back to the spot.

No cars.

Triple rats.

But there - there he is! In the woods! It's not the shot I could have had if I were prepared, but it's not bad either. He'd gone back further into the woods, so the light was working against me; a lot of my later shots didn't come out well at all. But I liked this one! The grasses in the foreground are a neat touch.

One picture down. 364 to go.

1 comment:

  1. I like the little peek of the antlers through the grass!

    ReplyDelete